All members of my family agree that these waffles are even better than conventional ones.
Yes, seriously – even better! They’re crispy on the outside with a perfect texture and crumb inside. Their peanut butter flavour comes through just a tad, and because the recipe is so very versatile, I love adding all sorts of mix-ins to the batter! And there’s more.. they freeze extremely well, so it’s a matter of minutes to defrost a waffle on weekdays!
Crunchy, crispy, yet soft and fluffy, with a nutty undertone and a hint of vanilla extract – I think I’m addicted. And trust me, drizzling melted peanut butter, melted chocolate, and coconut whipped cream on top definitely doesn’t hurt. Fluffy and light and pumped full of flavour, I can just imagine what these would taste like with a little pumpkin pie spice and a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.. yum!
One recipe makes around 10 waffles.. in my mind that equals lots of fun baking on Saturday, a waffle devoured while standing by the waffle iron, a waffle to celebrate having made all the waffles, two waffles on Sunday morning, a waffle on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and two waffles on Friday. Because it’s Friday, obviously, and you need two waffles to survive Fridays. Was that too much waffle talk? I’m not sorry.
Based on Paleo Parents’ ELaD Frozen Waffles!
peanut butter waffles
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 medium banana
- 1 green apple
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon ground arrowroot
- splash vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Process the apple, banana, and peanut butter in a food processor until mashed and completely smooth.
2. Add in the eggs, ground arrowroot, vanilla extract, and baking soda.
3. Process until smooth, around a minute.
4. Grease your waffle iron with a bit of coconut oil. Let it heat up.
5. Ladle 1/2 cup-fuls into your waffle iron.
6. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
Note: I love to top mine with some whipped coconut cream, a bit of melted peanut butter drizzled on top, and a bit of melted chocolate as well!