Nutella used to be right up there with my favourite foods.
Every new house, every new country, every new bedroom to adorn with stickers throughout my childhood – I knew that there would always be Nutella. It sounds silly, a silky smooth myriad of chocolate and hazelnuts to placate me, but I’m quite certain that Nutella provides a certain emotional attachment to children. Who doesn’t remember seeing that squishy, soft, fudgy mass leaking out of the sides of a sandwich as tiny paint-covered fingers clutch it?
Rich, smooth, and soft, this healthier version contains just hazelnuts, cacao powder, a splash of vanilla, some almond milk, and some coconut palm sugar, and it really is incredible. Sweet, buttery, and crunchy hazelnuts laced with fierce, bold cacao, some speckled vanilla, smooth and creamy almond milk, and golden caramelised coconut palm sugar swirled together makes a mixture that would scare shop-bought Nutella right out of your house.
If we’re personifying Nutella here, that is. And I think we can all agree that there’s no time to be personifying Nutella here because it’s time for you to get in to your kitchen and make this right now. Just one warning.. don’t trust yourself alone in the house when this is in the fridge!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Roast the hazelnuts on a large baking tray at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for 8-10 minutes, or until their skin starts to crack.
2. Roll the hazelnuts in a large tea towel until their skin comes off.
3. Place the hazelnuts into a food processor or powerful blender and process for about a minute, or until a smooth paste is formed.
4. Add the other ingredients, then process until smooth and combined, another 1-2 minutes.
5. Spoon in to an airtight jar, then store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.