The deliciousness of this dish is simply insurmountable. It’s astounding to me that a recipe so simple and quick to make could end up with so many complex flavours and dimensions. Slightly crisp asparagus imbued with deliciously tangy sun-dried tomatoes and the deep intensity of smoked French garlic really does create an amazing plate of food.
It’s not just the flavours that work together brilliantly; I love the bright colours as well. The contrast between the mysterious green and the slightly muted fiery red of the tomatoes paints a gorgeous picture.
To me, asparagus is one of the most under-rated vegetables out there. It has quite a basic flavour, but it really pops when paired with strong flavours which would probably be overwhelming on their own. It acts as a canvas for the fiery flavours of sun-dried tomato and smoked garlic – a great one at that.
Did I mention that there are only four ingredients and it’ll be ready in about fifteen minutes?
Asparagus with sun-dried tomatoes and smoked garlic
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 300g asparagus
- 5 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cloves smoked French garlic (normal garlic would work, too)
- 300ml vegetable stock
1. Trim the asparagus and chop the tomatoes.
2. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add a teaspoon of oil and heat it up. Saute the garlic in the oil until fragrant, then add the trimmed asparagus and chopped sun-dried tomatoes, then cover everything with the vegetable stock.
3. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the asparagus is just a tiny bit crisp.
4. Serve and enjoy!